Updated: May 23, 2018
2. What are cookies?
We use the term “cookies” to refer to cookies and similar technologies through which information can be collected automatically.
A “Cookie Internet” (also known as “cookie browser” or “HTTP cookie” or “cookie”) is a small file consisting of letters and numbers that will be stored on the computer, mobile terminal or other equipment of a user through which the Internet is accessed.
Cookies are installed through a web server request to a browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome). Once installed cookies have a fixed lifetime, remaining “passive” in the sense that they do not contain software, viruses or spyware and will not access the information on the hard drive of the user whose device they have installed.
A cookie consists of two parts:
- the name of the cookie;
- the content or cookie value.
From a technical point of view, only the web server that sent the cookie can access it again when a user returns to the web page associated with that web-server.
3. For what purposes are cookies used through this website:
Cookies are used to provide users of this website with a better browsing experience and services tailored to the needs and interests of each individual user, namely:
- improving the use of this website, including by identifying any errors that occur while it is being visited and used by users;
- the provision of anonymous statistics on the use of this website to the owner;
- anticipating possible topics or future changes to the site, depending on the analysis of how the site is currently being read and used.
Based on feedback from cookies about how this website is used, the owner can take action to make this website more efficient and accessible to users.
Thus, using cookies allows you to save certain settings or preferences for this website, such as:
- the name, the email address, and the site you filled in when you contacted me so that the next time you want to do this you will find them already completed;
4. What is the lifetime of cookies?
Cookie life may vary significantly, depending on the purpose for which it is placed. There are the following categories of cookies that determine their life span:
- Session Cookies – A “session cookie” is a cookie that is automatically deleted when the user closes his browser;
- Persistent or Fixed Cookies – A “persistent cookie” or “fixed” cookie is a cookie that remains stored in the user’s terminal until it reaches a certain expiration date (which may be in a few minutes, days, or several years in the future) or when the user decides to delete it at any time through their browser settings.
5. What are cookies placed by third parties?
Certain sections of content on the website may be provided through third parties, not by the owner of this website, in which case these cookies are referred to as cookies placed by third parties (“third party cookies”).
Third-party cookies must also comply with the data protection and privacy policies available on this website.
These cookies may come from the following third parties:
- Google Analytics: Traffic analysis and anonymous statistics on how to use the site;
- Google AdSense: Online advertising;
- Jetpack: WordPress plugin for enhanced functionality of the platform;
- Akismet: WordPress plugin for spam protection;
- Disqus: Site comments;
- Facebook: Analyze traffic and generate audiences depending on how the site is used;
- Pinterest: Analyze traffic and generate audiences depending on how the site is used.
6. Which cookies are used through this website:
By using / visiting the website the following cookies may be placed:
a. Website performance cookies: those specific to the WordPress platform on which this website runs, Jetpack and Disqus for comments.
b. User analysis cookies: Google Analytics, Facebook, Pinterest.
c. Advertising cookies: Google AdSense.
a. Performance cookies
This type of cookies preserves the preferences of the user of this website, so re-setting preferences for later page visits is no longer required.
Specifically, these cookies retain the name, email address, and site that was completed when a blog comment was published so that you can find these dates already in the future.
Read more details about these policies on the providers’ websites:
b. User analysis cookies
These cookies provide statistical information about what pages are visited and for how long, from what site the readers arrived, from which country and locality they are, which browser they use, and so on.
Read more about these:
c. Advertising cookies
These cookies allow a user to view an online ad, its type, and the time elapsed since the message was viewed. As such, such cookies are used to target online advertising. These cookies are anonymous, storing information about the viewed content, not about users.
7. What type of information is stored and accessed through cookies?
Cookies store information in a small text file that allows for browser recognition. This website recognizes the browser until the cookies expire or are deleted.
8. Customize browser settings for cookies
If the computer or technical equipment used to browse this web page is used by several people, the setting for deleting individual browsing data can be considered whenever the browser is closed.
9. How can cookies be disabled?
Disabling and refusing to receive cookies can make this website more difficult to visit, resulting in limitations to its use.
Users can configure their browser to reject cookies or to accept cookies from a particular website.
All modern browsers offer the ability to change cookie settings. These settings can be accessed, as a rule, in the browser’s “options” or “preferences” menu. To understand these settings, the following links may be useful:
- Cookie settings in Internet Explorer
- Cookie settings in Firefox
- Cookie settings in Chrome
- Cookie settings in Safari
- Cookie settings in Opera
For any additional questions about how cookies are used through this website, please use our contact form or the office at smashingrobotics.com e-mail address.